I picked up a stack of Simplicity patterns last time they were on sale at JoAnn. (If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m a complete sucker for sales). I had been looking for a long sleeve shirt that was warm, had full-length sleeves, and was cuter than an ordinary round- or v-neck shirt. Simplicity 2364 almost fit that bill, and would be easy enough to adapt as the only thing it was missing was the long sleeves. I decided to sew it in a maroon crinkle knit that I picked up several months ago from Fabric.com.
After looking at the pattern on patternreview.com, I wasn’t sure if I would like the neckline that looked to me like a cross between a square and a cowl, depending on the fit of the top on each individual person. Even after sewing my maroon version, which was for all effects, my wearable muslin, I can’t decide if I like the way the neckline hit me. If I let it drape naturally, the neckline falls a bit too low for my taste, and I don’t love the look if I tug the neckline straighter across. I’m playing with the idea of tacking the shrug and front drape where they meet at the front (higher than where they naturally fall) and ruching the front center for a few inches, then repeating the effect on the lower several inches of the side seams.
Overall, I really liked the way this pattern came together. I cut and sewed a straight size 8, which fit me very well without further alterations, other than the previously mentioned neckline issues. The faux shrug was easy to work with, and combined with the self-facing effect on the front meant that there was no hemming/finishing work needed on the neckline. If I were to sew it again, I would probably raise the neckline an inch or two to try to get the front drape to fall a bit higher.