Little Black “Go Anywhere” Dress – McCall’s 6282

I have had this fabric and pattern (McCall’s 6282) paired and sitting in my closet for several months, so this was great motivation to get it done. I knew when I saw this fabric, a black knit with a subtle floral print in a raised texture, sitting on the clearance table at JoAnn’s back in November that it was meant for this pattern.

So, when Craftster’s Little Black Dress contest came along, I knew it was meant to be. This project jumped to the top of my ‘to make’ list. And I’m so glad I did. I love my new dress.

I loved the lines and shape of the dress on the pattern envelope, but I didn’t exactly follow the pattern. I knew from holding the pattern up that I was going to need to shorten it. I also knew that the gathers, as drafted, would be far too overwhelming on me. So, I used the lining pieces as my base. I used the back lining, as is, in lining and fashion fabric. For the front, I traced the top from the main piece onto the body of the front lining piece. Sewed the neckline, sleeves as instructed. Then I basted the side and back seams so I could try the dress on. With it on, I pinned until the dress felt right, creating gathers. Marked where the gathers should start and end, then unpicked the basting and sewed the rest following the instructions. I also ended up taking another 4 inches from the bottom of the dress when I hemmed it.

My 20 year-old brother, who usually doesn’t care about my sewing saw this dress and immediately said it was the nicest thing I’ve ever made. When I got this fabric, I had thought it would make a casual dress suitable for hanging around in on hot summer days. The consensus is that this pattern/fabric combination made a dress that looks far more expensive than it actually was. Which is great, because I now have an extremely versatile dress that I can wear on a number of different occasions from interviews/work to parties. And…of course, I can now make another in casual fabric. I’m thinking some sort of fun print, but we’ll see.

This was my first time lining a dress as well as putting a zipper in a dress, and I’m calling both a happy success. I had virtually no problems putting it together. Lately, I’ve been having success with a pattern the first time I make it, as far as fit, then utterly failing with the next attempt. I have no idea why that may be, but it’s slightly unsettling. Maybe this project will be the one to break that cycle the next time I make it. And I do plan to make it again. I’m thinking of making the top-only version in a deep purple, and as I mentioned above, the dress in a colorful print for casual summer outings.